Skip to main content
5 Health Tips from a Registered Dietitian in CT
August 21, 2022 at 7:00 AM
spirulina smothie

It can be hard to know where to start when making healthy life changes. Oftentimes, nutritional advice can be overwhelming and challenging to navigate. Starting out with smaller changes can be impactful as you’re adapting to a healthier lifestyle.

Here are five health tips from a registered dietitian in CT.

1. Drink plenty of water

Ensuring you drink enough water is essential during your health and nutrition journey. That’s because water plays a vital role in our bodies — impacting our mood, heart, brain, skin, and joints. While there are guidelines for how much water you should drink, the actual amount will depend on the weather, your exercise plan, and how much you’re getting through food. Your best bet is to monitor how much water you’re drinking daily and keep a water bottle with you at all times.

2. Eat more fruits and vegetables

As you start or continue your health journey, eating fruits and vegetables should be at the top of your list. This is because eating produce has many lasting benefits, like reducing the risk of chronic diseases and boosting your intake of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

If you’re always on the go and don’t have time to prep, there are several types of vegetables and fruits that you can grab as you’re heading out the door. These include baby carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, salad kits, bananas, and berries.

3. Make more fulfilling meals and snacks

Want to know the secret of what will fill you up and give you energy? All you need to do is add protein, fiber, and healthy fat to most meals and snacks you eat. These three nutrients together are very satisfying and take longer to digest, so you’ll feel fuller for longer.

Protein is found in meat, seafood, cheese, beans, and nuts. Fiber is in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts. And healthy fats include avocado, olive oil, other plant oils, nuts, seeds, and fish. Many of these three nutrients cross over with each other to give you the fuel you need to keep going during your day.

4. Plan ahead

With meal prep, you don’t always have to spend all day in the grocery store or your kitchen. You can plan and organize what you will make ahead of time. You can prepare for a whole week or even just a few days and jot down some dinner ideas on a notepad.

Planning your meals doesn’t just help you save time. It also keeps you from eating takeout or cereal and feeling defeated that you didn’t stick to your plan or routine.

5. Give yourself a break

Remember to cut yourself some slack when it comes to healthy eating. It’s important to know that healthy eating is not all or nothing. You can still have your favorite foods as part of a healthy diet — it’s all about finding balance. You may see nutritionists and others living by an 80-20 rule: 80% of the time, you’ll eat your fruits and vegetables, get movement in, and enjoy a healthy diet, and the other 20%, you can eat your favorite foods.

Book a consultation with a registered dietitian in CT

Start your health and fitness journey today by scheduling an appointment with me. I can help you put together a plan that’s right for you and your goals. Give me a call at Dietitian For All at 203-977-2446 for your consultation.

If you have any questions for me about how I can serve as your registered dietitian CT, please don’t hesitate to send an email at or use my contact form. I look forward to working with you.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Let's keep in touch!

Stay updated on our news and events! Sign up to receive our newsletter.